To have good oral hygiene, it is necessary to carry out a correct technique of brushing the teeth, brushing the tongue and we cannot forget to floss between teeth to be able to eliminate the remains of food that accumulate in these areas. By flossing we will avoid and prevent the appearance of dental cavities. By using dental floss correctly we will remove plaque and food particles from places where the toothbrush cannot easily reach, that is, under the gum and between the teeth. We recommend the daily use of dental floss in order to avoid the accumulation of plaque that can cause cavities and gum disease.
Types of dental floss:
- Dental floss. It can be waxed or waxless. It is the one most commonly used and the most common. It has a rounded surface and is used in people with normal interdental spaces, not too large.
- Dental tape. With or without wax, it has a wide flat surface, which is used in people with larger than usual interdental spaces.
- Super-floss. It is a specific silk thread for fixed bridges and orthodontic appliances. Each thread has three different zones:
- A rigid segment to be able to insert it under the bridge or brackets.
- A spongy segment for the removal of bacterial plaque.
- A segment of wax-free silk for the rest of the teeth.
How do you floss?
Use thread or silk without wax. Waxed material can leave a layer on the tooth surface that sometimes inhibits the assimilation of fluoride from toothpaste or topical treatments.
- Cut a piece of thread of about 30-60 cm and wrap each of its ends around the ring finger of each hand, leaving 3-5 cm between both fingers to be able to pass it well between tooth and tooth.
- Hold the floss tightly between your thumbs and index fingers, and gently slide it up and down between your teeth.
- You should curve the floss gently around the base of each tooth, making sure it goes under the gum. You should not force the thread, as this could cut or damage the gum.
- In the lower teeth, the thread is guided with the index fingers instead of the thumbs to facilitate the control of movements.
- You should move the sector of floss that you have used in each proximal space to clean as you advance each tooth with clean floss.
If you do not have the manual ability to floss manually, you can buy in the supermarket or in the pharmacy, some unitary attachments with already placed thread or in the shape of a fork where we place the dental floss ourselves, with these elements it is easier, It will be easier for you to floss, although more expensive since these products have a price and you will go a little slower when it comes to flossing.
At Smile Care Plymouth we recommend that you brush your teeth three times a day, after each meal and that you floss every day, usually before going to sleep. Here are our recommendations for a good tooth brushing.
When brushing your teeth, first of all you must floss between teeth, after passing it through all the teeth, you have to vigorously rinse your mouth to remove plaque and debris from the interdental spaces and finally you must perform a correct tooth brushing.
We hope you liked this article. Smile Care in Plymouth can offer you a complete Smile Makeover For that Hollywood Smile or if you need Dental Implants our team is on hand, replacing or making new Dentures and White fillings. Contact Our Dental Clinic if you have any questions or would like support with anything we have covered today.