Preventive dentistry is responsible for preventing any disease in the oral environment, periodically examining the oral cavity, studying the microorganisms and the habits of the patient. In order to carry out a correct dentistry, it is necessary to go to the dental consultation every 4 or 6 months depending on each patient and their hygiene habits.
Preventive dentistry should start when the baby’s first tooth erupts and even before, in order to learn how to brush his gums after each feeding, and how to brush his teeth, in addition to having control that everything is correct. Preventive dentistry aims to promote, maintain, and restore oral health for all patients.
If a patient comes with a completely healthy mouth, what we will try to do with preventive dentistry is stay healthyIf, on the contrary, a patient with pathologies comes, it will be about diagnosing and treating the injuries as soon as possible, rehabilitating them and restoring the patient’s oral health, in addition to educating them to maintain good hygiene at home; This way we will ensure that all our patients maintain their oral health, that the risk factors for dental problems are reduced and that we prevent or avoid the appearance of different diseases.
Are considered public health problems in the world the following:
- Dental caries
- Periodontal disease
- Dentofacial abnormalities
- Oral cancer
- Dental tissue malformations
- Maxillofacial trauma
- Dental fluorosis
- Brushing the teeth, within the dental office, dental hygiene is performed, this is the most relevant measure within preventive dentistry to prevent some dental diseases. On the other hand, you have to carry out a good brushing technique at home, a good tooth brushing technique is one in which you get to brush all the surfaces of the teeth from the gum margin, passing through the external faces without forgetting the lingual faces (faces that face the inside of the oral cavity), even below the gums, making circular movements without tightening and avoiding damaging the gums.
- Monitoring of tooth development.
- The use of dental floss:
- Cut a piece of thread of about 30-60 cm and wrap each of its ends around the ring finger of each hand, leaving 3-5 cm between both fingers to be able to pass it well between tooth and tooth.
- Hold the floss tightly between your thumbs and index fingers, and gently slide it up and down between your teeth.
- You should curve the floss gently around the base of each tooth, making sure it goes under the gum. You should not force the thread, as this could cut or damage the gum.
- In the lower teeth, the thread is guided with the index fingers instead of the thumbs to facilitate the control of movements.
- You should move the sector of floss that you have used in each proximal space to clean as you advance each tooth with clean floss.
- Application of fluoride, fluoride is an effective mineral that prevents and stops the signs of tooth decay, and strengthens the structure of the tooth, making it more resistant to acid attacks.
- Monitoring of oral habits.
- Parental involvement, it is important that parents help and instruct children to brush their teeth and get them used to having good oral hygiene.
- Maintain a balanced diet.
- The application of pit and fissure sealants.
- Promote the safety and protection of patients when practicing a sport.
We hope you liked this article. Smile Care in Plymouth can offer you a complete Smile Makeover For that Hollywood Smile or if you need Dental Implants our team is on hand, replacing or making new Dentures and White fillings. Contact Our Dental Clinic if you have any questions or would like support with anything we have covered today.